Helping Albertans make the right choices is something we take very seriously at Alberta Cannabis. To do so, we equip retailers like you with the things you need to know to educate your customers about responsible cannabis use.
We focus on:
- Keeping cannabis out of the hands of children and youth.
- Cannabis cannot be purchased from a retailer until a customer has been age verified. Additionally, public consumption is prohibited in places frequented by children.
- Protecting public health.
- We make public education on the risks of cannabis a priority, as well as access to products that are safe and regulated.
- Promoting safety on the roads, in the workplace and in public spaces.
- We strive to keep Albertans safe by building awareness around impaired driving, workplace safety and the repercussions surrounding cannabis use in certain public spaces.
- Limiting the illegal cannabis market.
- With a legal option to purchase safe cannabis now available in Alberta, it’s our goal to see the illegal cannabis market disappear.
Retailers have an important role to play when it comes to providing Albertans with recreational cannabis, helping to ensure customers use it safely and responsibly.
It starts long before you open a retail location, as you’ll need to acquire a retail cannabis store licence from the AGLC. This includes background checks, fees, municipal approval and certain business and retail store requirements, all to ensure you fulfil your responsibilities in selling cannabis safely and in line with the regulations.
Once you’re licensed and ready for business, each and every one of your employees must complete SellSafe Cannabis Staff Training. SellSafe is a program developed to equip industry staff with the knowledge they need to sell cannabis products within the law, including:
- The social responsibility policies they must follow as part of their job.
- What they can do to prevent minors from purchasing and accessing cannabis.
- Risks related to cannabis use.
Finally, you may only sell cannabis products that have been purchased legally from the AGLC. This helps your customers get consistent products that have been monitored for quality by Health Canada.